Re: China on the Moon

Gerry Brentnall

Thanks, Pat.  I had no idea you could orbit in that manner.

Gerry
WA6E

On 1/4/2019 7:38 AM, Patrick Barthelow wrote:
here is a NASA paper that describes in general-detail the concept of  an L-2 Lunar Orbiting Relay Sat:

Background for Communications Architecture for the Chinese far side of the moon Queiqiao lander experiment:

Project Echo:
Electronic Communications from Halo Orbit.
NASA-USRA Advance Design Program
Penn State U. 1993-94

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19950006231.pdf

Best, 73,   Pat Barthelow AA6EG
apolloeme@...

"The most exciting phrase to hear in Science, the one that heralds
new discoveries,  is not "Eureka, I have found it!"    but:

"That's funny..."  ----Isaac Asimov

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 4:14 AM Mark Graybill <saundby@...> wrote:
Good one Dennis. Look for Moon Mushrooms at a market near you soon.

Greg got it exactly right. The Chinese have a satellite orbiting the L2 point, which is on the far side of the moon, and that puts the satellite into what we call a 'halo' orbit. I always has a view of the far side.

Landing on the far side of the Moon gives the Chinese a 'first', as neither the US or the Russians ever landed anything there.

There is no direct military value to this mission. Other than showing off the Chinese launch and control capabilities. China's military goals are met directly, they don't hide behind science missions. They had 35 launches last year, many military.

They observe our satellites capably using ground and ship-based radars. Going 238,000 miles away to observe satellites that are ~100-400 miles above the surface would be counterproductive.

Mark, W8BIT

Personally, I think they will be growing mushrooms on a massive scale. These will be hallucinogenic and sold thru Chinese vegetable markets near you. 😊