Re: Help for Hams in the Camp Fire

Greg D

My recollection is that there have been a number of discussions over the years on the "use any means" clause in the regulations...  Arguably everything such agencies do is an emergency, but I don't believe that gives them cart-blanche to use ham on an on-going basis.  Note also that this is specifically not a governmental agency, as they describe it.  It's a 503C non-profit.  The site also lists a ham radio license as beneficial but not required.  Does not seem right.

Perhaps a good question for follow-up with folks who really deal with this sort of regulatory stuff...  I'm not an authority in any regard on this.

Greg  KO6TH

Alan Thompson - W6LAN wrote:

If it's Disaster Recovery, and Government Agencies are involved, maybe they can supersede customary FCC Comm ID rules due local emergency conditions. Seems like I remember a question in one of the license exams on this.

I wrote to two contacts I found on the sites to thank them, and to ask for more information on how this effort was supported, eg, who supplied the radios, etc..

Alan - W6LAN

On 11/22/2018 11:45 PM, Greg D wrote:
Interesting organization, but I don't think it makes them exempt from needing to identify with valid amateur radio call signs if they are using amateur radio frequencies...

Greg  KO6TH

W6LAN wrote:

I wondered about that, too, and thought at first I'd mis-programmed my radio for a gov frequency instead of a Repeater in the Ham bands. More about that Repeater, and the people behind it:

W6SCR
Butte County Sheriff's Communication Reserve
1670 Albion Ct
Chico, CA 95973
USA
The Butte County Sheriff's Communications Reserve is an all-volunteer auxiliary of the Sheriffs Office. The team serves as Butte County's Auxiliary Communications unit and is available for deployment 24/7 to any agency who makes the request. The team maintains a repeater system on 145.290- tone 110.9 along with several APRS digipeaters and Igate.

More information, including pictures of its communications truck and HF station at the Sheriff's dispatch center can be seen at the website http://www.buttescr.org

The Butte County Sheriff’s Communication Reserve (BCSCR) is a 15 member, all-volunteer auxiliary unit of the Butte County Sheriff Department. Comm Reserve serves the Sheriff’s Office, allied agencies, select NGOs and the greater North Sacramento Valley region.

Comm Reserve is an on-demand team of communications professionals. BCSCR members set up tactical repeaters and IP infrastructure, program / keyload subscribers, maintain repeater sites and draft incident communications plans. The unit also performs select C2 functions.

BCSCR is a self-financing, not-for-profit and registered 501(c)(3) organization. All donations are tax deductible. More about donations here.

Alan - W6LAN