Topics

California QSO Party Site Selection #cqp

Orion, AI6JB

Hi everyone,

Brian, AI6US, is out on a reconnaissances mission this weekend to find us a "Primo" California QSO Party contest site.  Here are a few options:
  • Location "Alpha" (39.2829, -120.5758).  Great view of Lake Valley, Grouse Ridge, Signal Peak, Mount Rose. Worked this  location from a shaded / sheltered spot in the trees. Narrow staging area to work towards the East, but has great trees and at least 4-5 camping and station areas. This would be good for two stations.   On dead end feeder road off of FS19.
  • Location "Beta" (39.2766, -120.573).  A pull-out loop several hundred feet south of FS19 with more room to spread out antennas with multiple camping spots with fire pits about 1 mi away from Alpha.  Easier to reach and we can be spaced out more.  On loop from FS 19, long distance views to the east and the ridge is spread out along the ridge with opening East/ South.  Slight rise to the North. Maybe 150'? to the east.  Antennas can be spread out more, but within eye sight.  Maybe 500 – 700 feet .
  • Location "Charlie" (39.1769, -120.5306).  Canada Hill.
  • Location "Delta" Duncan Peak Lookout on Little Bald Mtn (39.1462, -120.5061).  Brian believes he has charmed the Lookout volunteer into letting us the area.  This location has three protected pullouts (one larger on East side ) is inside the gate, but in a treed area near the lookout.  The look out ridge area would be perfect for VHF/UHF as it sees the entire valley. It has some parking, but stations/camping would be exposed and lacking tall trees. Some small trees along ridge and might be able to have permission for ropes to lookout railing.
These four locations are plotted on SARTopo.com.  Just follow this link:  https://sartopo.com/m/UBC6

We are thinking about set up at Alpha or Bravo for the weekend of July 28th.  This is a great opportunity to shack-out any details for the CQP.  Even if you can't make it for CQP, join us anyway to camp-out, have some fun, and operate.

73
Orion, AI6JB

Dennis - WU6X

First of all, CQP is not about the "view", it's about the "county" you are in ... the rarer the better. Stampede Reservoir is in a very rare county, Sierra, where there will likely be no one or maybe one other station on which means ... PILE UP! and lot's of fun contacts and probably a 1st place ribbon in the County.
So, I will suggest Option E to the Organizers ... good camping and lots of trees to put up wires.
I will be in Siskiyou County, another rare one (a 1st place last year), so sorry I cannot assist this year ... except to give you a contact. :-)
Last year's stats attached for target QSO counts ... Good luck!
73, Dennis - WU6X

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Hello Dennis,

We are considering going multi-multi this year using the club call with multiple operators and multiple stations. Placer County had no multi station entries last year and we were thinking that with multiple operators, traveling and participation might be better if we keep it close, but away from the noise.

--
Best Regards!
Brian Gohl - AI6US

-------------------------

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 15:35:59 -0700, Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:

First of all, CQP is not about the "view", it's about the "county" you are in ... the rarer the better. Stampede Reservoir is in a very rare county, Sierra, where there will likely be no one or maybe one other station on which means ... PILE UP! and lot's of fun contacts and probably a 1st place ribbon in the County.
So, I will suggest Option E to the Organizers ... good camping and lots of trees to put up wires.
I will be in Siskiyou County, another rare one (a 1st place last year), so sorry I cannot assist this year ... except to give you a contact. :-)
Last year's stats attached for target QSO counts ... Good luck!
73, Dennis - WU6X

Orion, AI6JB

Clearly you don’t like Option Alpha …  with a VIEW!  😉

I think we should throw Location Echo up for consideration?

73

Orion Endres, AI6JB

1201 Wood Oak Court, Roseville, CA 95747-7383

(916) 788-8251 H \\ (916) 534-8251 C

What the heck does “73” mean?  73 is morse code short hand for “Best Regards” used by Ham radio operators.  It’s origin goes all the way back to the landline telegraph days.

First of all, CQP is not about the "view", it's about the "county" you are in ... the rarer the better. Stampede Reservoir is in a very rare county, Sierra, where there will likely be no one or maybe one other station on which means ... PILE UP! and lot's of fun contacts and probably a 1st place ribbon in the County.
So, I will suggest Option E to the Organizers ... good camping and lots of trees to put up wires.
I will be in Siskiyou County, another rare one (a 1st place last year), so sorry I cannot assist this year ... except to give you a contact. :-)
Last year's stats attached for target QSO counts ... Good luck!
73, Dennis - WU6X

Dennis - WU6X

Well, option E can have a view of the lake, I suppose. Don’t let me sway your plans, please pick something everyone will participate in, preferably with no mosquitoes?

Dennis - WU6X/4
530-305-0180
iPhone Mobile

On Jul 16, 2018, at 6:24 PM, Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:

[...]

Stampede (Sierra County) would be fine as option E. Easy access and nice location. I understand that it has been a site for several past CQP expeditions and my concern is that another op or ops will be there.

Best Regards!
Brian Gohl - AI6US

On Jul 16, 2018, at 4:28 PM, Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary KC3PO <kc3po@...>

So you wouldn't expect the record-setting K6EI multi/multi to show up again in Sierra this year?

The thing I noticed about all of the sites mentioned so far is none of them have that desirable drop off to the East mentioned in the "how to find a good location" videos on the CQP website. I don't know how big of a deal that is quantitatively speaking, but it does make sense.

- Gary

Orion, AI6JB

Hi Gary,

We are looking at site “Bravo” for the 2018 CQP.  It is located here on SARTopo at this link: https://sartopo.com/m/UBC6.

This site has a 1,500’ – 1,800’ drop-off within 2 miles.  The next higher terrain is 14 miles east.  The take-off angle works out to .9 degrees.  See attached profile.

While not as good as Leviathan Peak in Alpine County where we had 4,000’ drop to the east into the Antelope Valley in Nevada and no higher terrain within 50 miles.

From: Barry Bettman
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 22:20:08 PDT

FYI, we are having a multi K6ST SIER  (Barry + WB6CZG Bill,  K7MS Mike, + others ?) in Sierra County at the Stampede Reservoir boat overflow parking lot. See you on the air!
KB!!!
73,
Barry K6ST

Scott M Vogelsang

For those of us Late Comers and workaholics wanting to come and observe ...  is the QTH for the event on google maps?
I have schedule conflicts but would like to visit the site Saturday or Sunday am but can not figure out where the final site is located or how to get there.
Too many convo strings to sift through to find the info...

QTH help please?
Directions from a known highway intersection?
Will there be a call in frequency?

Scott M.
wa6yne
415-234-9400 cell

Bob Brodovsky

The site is located at 7980 Callison Rd. Penryn CA 95663
73,
Bob Brodovsky (K6UDA)
The K6UDA Radio Show on YouTube
Elmer with Attitude
(916) 871-0726

On Oct 5, 2018, at 08:11 AM, Scott Michael Vogelsang <s.m.vogels@...> wrote:

For those of us Late Comers and workaholics wanting to come and observe ...  is the QTH for the event on google maps?
I have schedule conflicts but would like to visit the site Saturday or Sunday am but can not figure out where the final site is located or how to get there.
Too many convo strings to sift through to find the info...

QTH help please?
Directions from a known highway intersection?
Will there be a call in frequency?

Scott M.
wa6yne
415-234-9400 cell

Bob Brodovsky

Just off Taylor Rd. 1.5 miles north of the Valencia Club. No call in frequency, the repeater will be tied up with an event and we’ll be busy making contacts. Feel free to stop by whenever. we’ll be in the back yard for the next 30 hours or so.