Re: California QSO Party Site Selection #cqp

Orion, AI6JB

Gary,

I added it to the map as “Juliet”.  Looks like it is about 2-1/4 hrs, 105 miles from Auburn.  Per SARTopo, it is in the Tahoe National Forest, Sierraville District.  I would give them a call to find out about access.

To get the profile in SARTopo.com, all you have to do is right-click anywhere on the map and select Measure -> Profile.  Now left-click the starting point for you profile line and then double left-click the end.  A new window will open up with the profile.

If you want the version I emailed previously, click the “expand” button in the upper right corner.  Enjoy!

Orion Endres, AI6JB

1201 Wood Oak Court, Roseville, CA 95747-7383

(916) 788-8251 H \\ (916) 534-8251 C

What the heck does “73” mean?  73 is morse code short hand for “Best Regards” used by Ham radio operators.  It’s origin goes all the way back to the landline telegraph days.

From: ClubContests@w6ek.groups.io <ClubContests@w6ek.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary KC3PO
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2018 12:22
To: ClubContests@w6ek.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ClubContests] California QSO Party Site Selection #CQP

Can't say I'd be crazy about travelling as far as Del Norte or Trinity... Alpine would be OK, but according to the map that AI6US guy is registered there again this year and he seems scary - hahaha.

I did happen to stumble across a place above Jackson Meadows Res. that seems good in a lot of ways (drop off to the east... down to the lake, no less) - nice clearing, nice trees, etc. But then I ran across something that said the road going up to it is closed. I have no idea if it'd be possible to find out why the road is closed, get permission to go up there, or verify if it really is closed, etc.

If you want to take a peek, it's here: 39.491367, -120.560699

It'd be interesting to run it through your terrain profile thingy too - I haven't done anything like that either.

- Gary

Join ClubContests@w6ek.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.